Club Members e-newsletter – March 2012
Yachting Victoria Award Nominations: The 2012 Yachting Victoria Award nominations are now open. Please click here for further details. Nominations close Tuesday 1st May 2012.
Tess Lloyd continuing to make steady progress: Victorian 29er skipper Tess Lloyd is in good spirits and continuing to make steady progress as she recovers from a head injury suffered during the 2012 Australian Youth Championships in Brisbane in early January. Following a number of weeks in hospital in Brisbane Tess headed back to her hometown of Melbourne with her family and has been undergoing continued treatment at the Royal Children’s Hospital. Since returning to Melbourne Tess’ condition has improved enough to allow her to return home to stay and continue her rehabilitation as an out-patient, a very positive step. Tess was recently visited by Australian Sailing Team member Nathan Outteridge who flew down to spend an afternoon with her in hospital. Outteridge, a triple 49er World Champion, 2011 Moth World Champion and Olympic representative has a lot in common with Tess having also suffered a major injury and having to come back from it to sail again. In early 2005 Outteridge was involved in a car accident where he broke his back and for a time it was unclear if he would ever walk, let along sail, again. Outteridge’s determination saw him recover to win his first 49er World Championship just three years later and compete at the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games in the same year.The pair, along with Tess’ crew Lewis Duncan, spent time talking about all things sailing, along with Outteridge’s journey back from injury and the road ahead for Tess. Last month Tess also had the opportunity to catch up with her fellow 29er sailors, attending a BBQ during the 29er Victorian Championships at Royal Brighton Yacht Club. The BBQ provided the first chance that Tess has had to spend time with many of her friends. Tess has now been sailing on yachts and even on Oliver Tweddell’s Finn with coach Johnny Rodgers. She is spending 2-3 sessions per week at the VIS gym and is extremely keen to resume training. Tess will be involved in a “try 29er” day shortly and in the Australian Youth Camp at Sorrento around Easter.
2012 Association Cup: The 2012 Association Cup was held on 18th March. Congratulations to Royal Yacht Club of Victoria who won the Association Cup & IRC Challenge, Sandringham Yacht Club for winning the AMS Challenge & Presidents Trophy & Royal Melbourne Yacht Squadron who won the Vice President’s Trophy. For results and photos, please click here.
RMYS Big Bay Challenge: The Big Bay Challenge is on tonight! Keep up to date with all the results here.
Club Marine Series: The Club Marine Series has finished for 2011-12, with the final two rounds being held in March. For full details, please click here for Round 6 and here for Round 7.
2012 Victorian School Team Sailing Championships: The 2012 Victorian School Team Sailing Championships were held on Albert Park Lake on the 23rd & 24th March. For full results, please click here.
- Contender State Titles: The Contender State Titles were held from 10th-12th March at Somers Yacht Club. For the results, please click here.
- Pacer Victorian State Titles: The Pacer State Titles were held at Black Rock Yacht Club on 10th-12th March. For results and photos, please click here.
- Sabot State Titles: The Sabot State Titles were held at Chelsea Yacht Club on 3rd & 4th March. For all the results and photos, please click here.
- OK Dinghy State Championships: The OK Dinghy State Championships were held at Black Rock Yacht Club from the 10th-12th March. For all the results and photos, please click here.
- Victorian A-Class Catamaran Championships: The Victorian A-Class Catamaran Championships were held at Bendigo Yacht Club from 10th-12th March. For results and photos, please click here.
- Cadet States – Taking Care of Business: The past Labour Day weekend saw the successful running of the 61st Victorian Championship regatta for the International Cadet Class 6th Fleet. The event was expertly conducted by Sandringham Yacht Club OTB under the guidance of P.R.O. Steve Aulich with his capable band of on and off water volunteers. For the full story, results and photos, please click here.
- RT Edgar Victorian Optimist Championships: In beautiful sunny conditions, Sorrento Sailing and Couta Boat Club was the venue for the 2012 RT Edgar International Optimists Victorian Championships. Sailed over three days, 68 boats challenged for the Open title and 42 boats enjoyed Green fleet racing. A significant boost to entries was the full Australian Worlds team with coach Rob Brewer down for the event adding plenty of competition to the already strong list. 11 interstate competitors travelled for this event from WA, Tas, QLD, and NSW. For the full story, please click here.
- Victorian Paper Tiger State Championships: The Victorian Paper Tiger State Championships were held at McCrae Yacht Club from 10th-12th March. For full results, please click here.
- Mosquito & Arrow / Arafura States Titles: The Victorian Mosquito & Arrow / Arafura State Titles were held at Lake Boga Yacht Club on the March long weekend. For all results, please click here.
Congratulations to all host clubs and their volunteers!!
Australian Team News:
- RS:X World Championship: Australian windsurfer Jessica Crisp has finished 14th overall at the 2012 RS:X World Championships in Cadiz, Spain, after the final two days of racing were cancelled due to heavy winds. For the full story, please click here.
- Belcher and Page keen to conjure up some magic with new boat: Australian sailors Mathew Belcher and Malcolm Page have christened their new 470 Practical Magic following an online competition. For the full story, please click here.
- 2012 Australian Sailing Team looking to London and beyond: Defending World Champions, returning Olympic Gold medalists and stars for the future have all been named in the 2012 Australian Sailing Team, racing against the best sailors in the world in the coming year. For the full story, please click here.
Junior Membership Success: It is with great pleasure that I am able to relate the success that Mt Martha Yacht Club has had with its junior program this season. In January of this year the Mobile Boatshed ran a Tackers 1, 2 & 3 holiday program at Mt Martha Yacht Club. The Club already owned 6 OziOptis and were running Sunday morning sailing sessions. After the Tackers holiday program the participants were all invited to come down on the Sunday mornings to continue their sailing in the clubs Ozioptis. The success of this prompted the club to start a Friday twilight session that revolved around family participation, sailing and BBQ. Through the use of the clubs boats and the integration of the parents the club has had 10 families purchase their own Optimists and hope to have another 5 – 10 by Christmas. Well done to Paul Hayes and his team at Mt Martha on a great effort.
Sailing During the Grand Prix: This year the sport of sailing had a presence on Albert Park Lake during the four days of the Formula One Grand Prix. Working closely with Albert Park Yacht Club and Albert Sailing club The Boatshed ran 4 days of “Go Sailing” with over 300 people having a taste of sailing. School Teams Sailing then ran a regatta on the Saturday evening with seven schools competing for the inaugural prize that was eventually won by Geelong Grammar. The four day event was then finished with a mixed fleet regatta hosted by the Albert Sailing Club and The Albert Park Yacht Club and sponsored by Swisse. This event attracted approximately 25 boats and was run over a number of short course races. The aim is to grow all these sailing activities in next year’s regatta.
Lake Wellington's - Marlay Point Overnight Race: Lake Wellington Yacht Club held its annual Marlay Point Overnight Race on 10th March. For results and photos, please click here.
Geelong Wooden Boat Festival: The Geelong Wooden Boat Festival was held on 10th & 11th March. For photos of the weekend, please click here.
Yachting Victoria Development Squad camp at Sorrento: The 2012/2013 YVDS members will be spending three days at Sorrento Sailing Couta Boat Club over the Easter holidays taking part in camp alongside the VIS Sailing Squad. For more details on the camp and the squad, please click here.
Job Vacancy at RMYS – Principal Race Officer: For the job description for this position, please click here.
New Sailing Manager at RGYC: Rod Hagebols will be joining the Royal Geelong Yacht Club as their new Sailing Manager. For full details, please click here.
RS200 at Black Rock Yacht Club - find out about this exciting boat: Black Rock Yacht Club are holding an information session about the RS200 that will be at the club next season. For the full story, please click here.
The Mad Paddle: The Mad Paddle held on Sunday 18th March raised over $30,000 for Sandringham Hospital. Congratulations to all those involved!
PISBTW: For further details, please click here. And remember to download the Water Safety App!
Premier’s Active Challenge: The 2012 Premier’s Active Families Challenge provides a great opportunity for all Victorian families to get fit and enjoy the benefits of an active lifestyle. Find our more details here.
Shipmate Marine Directory: The Victorian boaters essential guide has announced the release of their all new iPhone App, and it’s free! For further information, please see the Shipmate Website.
Funding and Grants: Please click here for all the information in regards funding and grants.
Facebook and Twitter: Yachting Victoria has Facebook and Twitter pages. We will be posting regular news updates here so if you have an account, please follow us. We also have Facebook pages for: Go Sailing, The Boatshed and Tackers.
Upcoming Events in April
- 5th April: 2012 Paper Tiger International Championships (McCrae Yacht Club)
- 6th April: 14 Footers Regatta (Albury Wodonga Yacht Club)
- 6th April: ORCV Port Fairy Ocean Race (ORCV)
- 6th April: Yachting Western Victoria – Easter Regatta 2012 (Warrnambool Yacht Club)
- 6th April: Lake Boga Yacht Club Easter Regatta (Lake Boga Yacht Club)
- 14th April: OAMPS Victorian Youth & Junior Regatta (Sorrento Sailing Couta Boat Club)
- 14th April: Bendigo Yacht Club 50th Anniversary (Bendigo Yacht Club)\
- 15th April: Wooden Boat Festival (Mordialloc Sailing Club)
- 21st April: Anzac Day Regatta (Yarrawonga Yacht Club)
- 28th April: HBYC Try Sailing (Hobson’s Bay Yacht Club)
For other sailing and boating news see one of Yachting Victoria’s eight websites:
From the Crew at Yachting Victoria