Club Members e-newsletter – January 2012
Update on Tess Lloyd (as of Monday 30th January 2012 2012): Tess Lloyd’s condition continuing to improve in Brisbane - Victorian 29er skipper Tess Lloyd is continuing to show very positive signs as she continues to recover from a head injury sustained during the final race of the Australian Youth Championships. Following the accident Tess was placed in an induced coma but is now fully awake and off the medication that was controlling the coma. Tess’ family and friends have reported that she is showing all of those ‘Tess’ traits that they would expect; a lovely smile, warm and friendly nature and a sense of humour. Tess’ memory continues to improve, along with her speech, which is now generally very coherent. While some words don’t quite work yet, everyday means that there are fewer that don’t. Tess does continue to have some short-term memory issues. Tess has been doing some physical testing – walking the line, balancing, throwing, catching and kicking a ball – without faltering according to dad Mark. Tess has been a very hungry girl due to throat irritation but is now able to eat…although her craving for an “Urban Burger” remains unfulfilled! The Lloyd family is currently of the view that while they could return to Melbourne shortly it is in Tess’ best interest, as she continues to recover, to take advantage of the very highly regarded rehabilitation facility at the Princess Alexandra Hospital in Brisbane. This will depend on getting access to this facility quickly. The Lloyd family would like to thank the excellent doctors, nurses and ambulance staff that have played such a big part in Tess’ recovery. Over the last three weeks Tess has received an incredible amount of support from the sailing community across the globe, Melbourne yacht clubs, the Australian 29er fleet, her school and of course all of her family and friends. Tess’ hospital room is filled with photos, balloons, flowers and posters, all of which have helped her tremendously during this difficult time. These Yachting Australia updates on Tess’ progress will now be far less regular; a further update will be issued when a date for Tess’ return to Melbourne is known.
2012 YV Awards Night: This year’s Yachting Victoria Awards Night will be held on Friday 22nd June 2012. Lock it in your diaries! Further details to come.
Festival of Sails: For the full wrap on the Festival of Sails, please click here.
2011 Melbourne to Hobart: In the 40th running of the Melbourne to Hobart Westcoaster, Extasea here, from Royal Geelong Yacht Club, skippered by Paul Buchholz, took line honours, finishing ahead of Tevake II and Spirit of Downunder. Gusto took line honours in the Melbourne to Hobart Eastcoaster and Arch Rival took line honours in the Melbourne to Launceston. For full details, click
2011 Boxing Day Dash: For full details and results, please click here.
Australian Youth Championships: The Australian Youth Championships were held at Royal Queensland Yacht Squadron between 6th – 10th January. Congratulations to the following Victorians who finished in the top ten: In Laser 4.7 - Champion Jack Felsenthal, Anna Philip 4th, Sam Hannah 5th and Rhett Gowans 7th; Tom Klemens & James Oliver 3rd in 420; Tess Lloyd & Lewis Duncan 3rd and Eliza & Philippa Solly in 29er; Thomas Vincent 8th in Laser Radial and Michelle Bursa & Chelsea Haynes 7th in Hobie 16. For results, click here.
Class Nationals: For full details, click here.
- 420 Nationals: Tom Klemens and James Oliver finished 3rd overall (2nd Australian)
- Laser Nationals: In the Laser 4.7, Jack Felsenthal won the National title. Anna Philip 4th, Ben Hartnett 11th, Rhett Gowans 18th, Jessica Case 20th. In the Laser Radial, three Victorians finish in top 10: Krystal Weir 2nd, Jeremy O'Connell 5th and Simon Merritt 6th. In the Laser Standard, Sean Bly finished 14th.
- Sabre Nationals: The Sabre Nationals were held at Blairgowrie Yacht Squadron from 28th December – 3rd January. For full details, please click here.
- A Class Nationals: Glenn Ashby took the National title from 49er World Champion Nathan Outteridge in second and Steve Brewin in third. For full results, click here.
- Moth Nationals: Rob Gough took the Moth Nationals title at Mornington Yacht Club in front of Scott Babbage second and Nathan Outteridge in third. For further details, please click here.
- B14 Nationals: The B14's travelled over to Perth for their National Championships with Guy Bancroft and David Grace taking another National title. For a full report, click here.
- 29er Nationals: Jacqueline Gurr & Steven Thomas were victorious at the 29er Nationals. For full results, click here.
- Optimist Nationals: Congratulations to Victorian Jack Graves who won the Australian Optimist Nationals. For full details, click here. For further stories and details about the Championships, please click here.
Congratulations to the organisers at Mornington Yacht Club & Blairgowrie Yacht Squadron for hosting the Moth Nationals & Sabre Nationals respectively!
ISAF World Rankings: The International Sailing Federation (ISAF) World Sailing Rankings for January 2012 have been released. For the details, please click here.
World Champions book tickets to London: Congratulations to Sail Melbourne competitors Mathew Belcher, Malcolm Page, Nathan Outteridge, Iain Jensen, Tom Slingsby and Jessica Crisp who have booked their tickets to the London 2012 Olympic Games. Sailing at the Games will take place from Sunday 29 July – Saturday 11 August in Weymouth and Portland. For full details, please click here.
Australian sailors win gold and silver in Miami: Australian sailors have won two medals on the final day of the ISAF Sailing World Cup in Miami, Florida, with Mathew Belcher and Malcolm Page claiming Gold in the 470 class and Olivia Price, Nina Curtis and Lucinda Whitty picking up Silver in the Women’s Match Racing. Paralympic sailors Daniel Fitzgibbon and Liesl Tesch also picked up Australia’s first medal at the ISAF Sailing World Cup round in Miami, Florida, winning Gold in the Skud 18 class. For full details please click here.
Job Opportunity: For further details about the Sail Training and Development Manager position at Royal Yacht Club of Victoria, please click here, Closing date is Mon 6th February.
Opti Worlds: The Australian Optimist Sailing Team performed to their best in difficult conditions with Alistair Young the top performer finishing 43rd followed by Victorian James McLennan in 74th. For full details, please clickhere.
IFDS World Championships: The IFDS World Championships were held from 7th - 15th January 2012 at Charlotte Harbor in Florida, USA. Congratulations to Daniel Fitzgibbon and Liesl Tesch who won a bronze medal in the SKUD 18 class. For the full round up, please click here.
SKUD 18: Sailability Victoria would like to encourage more Sailability participants to experience sailing in a high performance Paralympic class. It is also our aim to help support the development of a Victorian campaign for the 2016 Paralympic Sailing Competition. We would particularly encourage females, either experienced sailors or athletes from other sports, to come along and try the SKUD. For further details, please click here. To find out how to support the SKUD 18 Program here.
International Intercity Match Race Regatta: The Audi Centre Bendigo Match Racing Shield was on the line during the weekend of 28th and 29th January 2012. The event began in 2011 as an inter city contest and eight teams fronted to contest the Shield in 2012. The teams were comprised of sailors from a mix of Cities, Shires and Yacht Clubs from around the world and interstate. The Bendigo Yacht Club [BeYC] accepted a team as being international provided the Skipper was a national of the country in which the represented city is located. Skippers came from Utrecht in the Netherlands, Auckland in New Zealand, City of Troup in Texas [USA], City of Cairns in Queensland [AUS], The Moira Shire in Victoria [AUS], The City of Greater Bendigo in Victoria, the Albury Wodonga Yacht Club and the Port Melbourne Yacht Club. For full details, please click here.
Westernport Challenge: Cowes Yacht Club hosted the annual off the beach dinghy and catamaran team challenge between Westernport yacht clubs on Saturday 15th January. 67 yachts from around the bay competed. For photos & results, click here.
83rd Stonehaven Cup Regatta: This year, Royal Melbourne Yacht Squadron (RMYS) hosted the 83rd Stonehaven Cup Regatta. The event is the longest continuously contested junior one-design dinghy trophy in Australian yachting. The contest is limited to youth sailors between the ages of 12 and 18 years. For further details, please click here.
Cowes Yacht Club Sail Training Program: Cowes Yacht Club started the holiday sailing calendar with a successful Tackers and Adult sail training program. For further details, please click here.
Yachting Victoria Development Squad (YVDS) 2012/13: The YVDS criteria and program for 2012/13 has been refined and redeveloped. The YVDS is step 7 on the Yachting Victoria sailing pathway and is the next step for athletes aiming for selection to the VIS. For further details, please click here.
Funding and Grants Information: Please click here to see current available grants.
Victorian Sailing Cup: Keep up to date with the Victorian Sailing Cuphere.
Water Safety App: For further details, please go to your App Store!
Variety Splash: The 2012 Variety Splash will be held from 23rd – 26th February 2012. The three day rally takes participants around Port Phillip and Corio Bay on boats of different shapes and sizes. For more information visit the Variety Splash website, and support this wonderful cause.
Club Marine Series: Round 4 of the Club Marine Series will be held at Royal Bright Yacht Club on Sat 4th February. For further details, please click here.
Shipmate Marine Directory: The Victorian boaters essential guide has announced the release of their all new iPhone App, and it’s free! For further information, please see the Shipmate Website
Upcoming Events in February
- 3 Feb: Melbourne Summer Boat Show (Docklands)
- 4 Feb: 2012 Victorian Laser Masters & Youth Championships (Port Melbourne Yacht Club)
- 4 Feb: Club Marine Series Race 4 (Royal Brighton Yacht Club)
- 4 Feb: Warneet MYC – WAFIR Race (Warneet Motor Yacht Club)
- 11 Feb: 29er Victorian Championships (Royal Brighton Yacht Club)
- 11 Feb: Ronstan Sail Inland - Social Race AWYC (Albury-Wodonga Yacht Club)
- 12 Feb: Ronstan Sail Inland – Heat 5 & 6 (Yarrawonga Yacht Club)
- 12 Feb: Ronstan Sail Inland Series H5 & H6 AWYC (Albury-Wodonga Yacht Club)
- 18 Feb: 2012 Victorian Laser State Championships (Somers Yacht Club)
- 18 Feb: Club Marine Series Race 5 (Sandringham Yacht Club)
- 18 Feb: Four Winds Marine 2012 Victorian State Trailable Yacht Championships (Bendigo Yacht Club)
- 18 Feb: Lidgett Trophy (Davey’s Bay Yacht Club)
- 24 Feb: SKUD 18 Try Out Day (Sandringham Yacht Club)
For other sailing and boating news see one of Yachting Victoria’s eight websites:
From the Crew at Yachting Victoria