Yachting Victoria’s 2007 Awards finalists announced
This year’s winners of the 16th Victorian Yachting Awards will be announced on Friday 6th July 2007 at a glittering 2007 Champions and Awards Night being held at the Royal Brighton Yacht Club on Friday 6th July.
CEO of Yachting Victoria Ross Kilborn (left) says, "Our annual Victorian Yachting Awards recognise both sailors and administrators who have achieved outstanding success during 2006-2007, as well as those who have contributed to the sport over many years.”
Previous winners include Sydney Olympic gold medalists Tom King and Mark Turnbull (2000, 01), World Hobie Class catamaran champions Aaron Worrell and David Silvester (1995), Dual Sydney-Hobart winner Lou Abrahams 2006 and handicapped solo around the word sailor Vinny Lauwers (2001).
This year’s finalists include:
Male Sailor of the Year Award
– Aaron Hurst (Chelsea) by Chelsea YC, Paul Newman (Chelsea),Rohan Veal (Seaford) by Black Rock YC, David James (Brighton), Glenn Ashby (Bendigo) by Bendigo YC, David James (Brighton) by Royal Brighton YC
Female Sailor of Year Award
– Heather Mcfarlane (Brighton) by Black Rock YC, Krystal Weir (East Brighton) by Sandringham YC, Sarah Blanck (Sandringham) and Rosemary Colaman (Brighton) by Royal Brighton YC
Junior Sailor of the Year
– Zac Douglas (Blairgowrie) by Blairgowrie YS, Chase Lurati (Seaview) by Hobie Victoria, Lloyd Collings (Mt Martha) and Tim Hannah (Albert Park) by Sorrento Sailing and Couta Boat Club
Youth Sailor of the Year
– Tim Hannah (Albert Park), Sam Kivell (Mentone) and Max Taylor (East Brighton) by Sandringham YC, Thomas Kelly (Fyansford) by Royal Geelong YC, Ben Gunther (Brighton) by Royal Brighton YC
Disabled Sailor of the Year
– Martin Waller (Gruyere) by Sugarloaf Sailing & Boating Club, Paul Borg (Paynesville) by Gippsland Lakes YC, Krista Bailey (Seaford) by Mornington YC
Services to Yachting Award
– Charles Weatherly (Skipton) by Sailability Victoria, Kevin Wood (Brighton) by Sandringham YC, Fred Allen (Sorrento) by Sorrento Sailing and Couta Boat Club, Ron Tormey (Fawkner) by Indented Head YC, Ian McKenzie (North Melbourne) by ORCV, Graeme West (Williamstown) by Royal YC of Vic
– Doug Kentish (Patterson Lakes) by Patterson River Motor Boat Club, Coral Allen (Altona Greens) by Altona YC, Rhan Harris (South Yarra) by Sandringham YC, Robin Hewitt (Moorabbin) by ORCV
Yachting Victoria‘s major divisional champions for the Club Marine Range and Association Cup keelboat series
together with the Trailable, Boating Victoria, Catamaran, Youth and Helly Hansen Victorian State Dinghy Champions will also be presented.
The selection committee comprises: Chairman - Alistair Murray - Sandringham YC, Keelboats - Noel May -Ocean Racing Club of Vic, Sailability - Brian Girling - Lysterfield Sailing Club, Coaching - Paul Pascoe - Royal Brighton YC, Off the beach - Garry Hosie - Mordialloc SC, Trailables - Rod Lake - Hartley TS18-21 YC, Yachting Victoria Executive - David Gotze - Royal Brighton YC.
The 2007 Champions and Awards Night is proudly sponsored by Helly Hansen and Club Marine boat insurance and supported by Vic Health, Victorian State Government, Ronstan and Audi Centre Brighton.
More Info: www.yachtingvictoria.com.au
Sam Watson – Program Co 0rdinator Ph 03 9597 0066 - Button 1
Ross Kilborn - CEO Yachting Victoria Ph 03 9597 0066 - Button 8
Media: Mike Sabey - Sabey & Associates Ph 9533 8030 Mob 0418 354 732