Twenty four Victorian schools have nominated for the Victoria Harbour inter-school teams racing regatta, which begins at Docklands this Thursday (February 21) and continues on Friday (22nd).
Sponsored by Lend Lease’s Victoria Harbour and the City of Melbourne, it is being staged as a series of two day events and it will be sailing’s equivalent to rowing’s prestigious Head of the River.
The Victoria Harbour Schools Teams Racing Championship involves knock out trials in February and March with the finals to be sailed next April.
School teams crewing three identical two person Pacer dinghies supplied by Yachting Victoria will go head to head with the other schools in a round robin knock out competition.
Teams will vie for the title of Head of Victoria Harbour and the right to represent the Big V at this year’s Australian Schools titles in Sydney next July.
St Leonards College at Brighton took out the Victorian title last year and went on to represent the state at the national championships.
Selection trials (for 24 invited schools) will be staged on Victoria Harbour at Docklands on
(for 24 invited schools) will be staged on Victoria Harbour at Docklands on
- Thursday 21 and Friday 22nd February from 9.30- 3.30pm approx each day
- Saturday 15 and Sunday 16 March 2008
The final twelve teams will sail off to decide State Champion School
- Saturday 19 and Sunday 20 April 2008
Twelve schools that will compete in the two day February two day knock out regatta include:
- Haileybury Boys College - Keysborough
- Haileybury Girls College - Keysborough
- Geelong Grammar - Corio
- Christian College – Geelong
- Kardinia International College – Geelong
- St Michaels Grammar – St Kilda
- Toorak College – Mt Eliza
- Sandringham Secondary College – Sandringham
- Melbourne High School – South Yarra
- Woodleigh School – Baxter
- Padua College - Mornington
The new Victoria Harbour Championship Series builds on the past successful events at Docklands and is being hosted by Docklands Yacht Club with assistance from Yachting Victoria.
Friends, families and supporters are invited to visit Docklands to enjoy Victoria Harbour‘s world class waterfront cafes and facilities whilst watching the sailing action.
For information: www.yachtingvictoria.com.au Look under Events